In today’s workplace, most employees’ digital activities leave an electronic trail. Data is easily transferred and manipulated on mass storage devices and electronic corporate files can be tampered with. As such, the need for digital forensics has never been greater or more relevant when dealing with Workplace Investigations.
Numerous factors including multi-jurisdictional labour laws, collective agreements and privacy regulations significantly affect workplace investigations.
At Cypfer, Canada’s leading independent cyber security and digital forensics firm, we have created a specialty practice within our Digital Forensics practice focused exclusively on the exceptional challenges and understanding of Workplace Investigations.
Our Digital Forensics experts and investigators have extensive experience providing digital forensic services to many of Canada’s top-tier legal firms, enterprises, and small / medium corporations.
We have found that most Workplace Investigations are conducted in two phases. The initial phase consists of the following steps:
- Consulting with the client and external legal counsel.
- Taking appropriate action to remove or sequester the employee(s)from the workplace in order to limit the damage or loss Conducting interviews.
- Gathering documentary and IT evidence.
- Quantifying the damage or loss.
- Preparing a report to justify termination or discipline.
In the second phase, following the employee’s termination or disciplinary action, we continue to support the client and their counsel by:
- Conducting physical surveillance.
- Tracing missing assets.
- Liaising with insurance companies.
- Supporting counsel in litigation to recover assets.
Although it is rare for clients to involve law enforcement in the event that they wish to pursue criminal charges against a former employee, Cypfer will coordinate with law enforcement and provide them with a comprehensive brief of evidence, therefore minimizing their need to re-investigate.
We provide investigative support in the following areas:
- Fraud: insider trading, bribery, kickbacks, embezzlement
- Theft: funds, inventory, data, and intellectual property
- Harassment: sexual, workplace, social media posts
- Litigation: wrongful dismissal, eDiscovery, Anton Piller Orders
- IT Forensics: recovery of erased data, e-mail analysis, mobile forensics
- Asset tracing and recovery
- Background investigations of key hires, for your peace of mind
- Forensic accounting